September 15, 2004

Protesting in style

Fred Phelps, the God-hates-fags minister from Topeka, Kansas, who made a national name for himself demonstrating at Matthew Shephard's funeral, will bring his act to Wichita this evening to protest the local production of The Laramie Project, the play about Shephard's murder. Several people I know will participate in a counter protest. I have mixed feelings about such activities, which I will go into some other time, but I want to see the show and if not protest, at least make a statement in a small way. So last night Jane and I bought gold and silver glittery iron-on letters and created t-shirts. We brainstormed a number of funny/mean ideas (or they were suggested to us), including:

GOD HATES INTOLERANT BIGOTS
JESUS LOVES YOU (EVEN THOUGH YOU'RE AN ASSHOLE)
YOU MAKE GOD PUKE
and (my personal favorite)
IF JESUS HAD KNOWN ABOUT YOU HE WOULDN'T HAVE GONE THROUGH WITH IT

But of course what divides us from the Phelpses of the world is our pesky belief that God doesn't hate anyone, and I am reluctant to throw another down note into what will undoubtably be a cacophony of negativity. So I chose GOD LOVES GAYS AND SO DO I and Jane is going with JESUS LOVES EVERYONE. Call us fag hag Pollyannas if you must.

2 Comments:

Blogger Peatie said...

Hello neighbor

September 24, 2004 at 10:41 PM  
Blogger Colleen said...

Hi Emily. Thanks for the fashion statement.

September 30, 2004 at 11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home