September 08, 2004

On faxing

I have spent the last week poring over a list of fall/winter releases from Publisher's Weekly and making my own, much-shorter-but-probably-still-too-long list of books I'd like to review. Or rather, books I'd like to review and books appropriate for a college-age audience and about which I am at least somewhat curious (e.g. this one). So at the end I have myself a nice little Excel spreadsheet full of all sorts of books: literary fiction, mysteries, cookbooks, a hip knitting how-to, plenty of memoirs and the odd book about sports.

Requesting books from publishers typically requires faxing, and I am not much of a faxer. Should I not find employment in the profession of my choice, I will not be able to fall back on my secretarial skills, as I cannot touch type and office equipment strikes me as strange and mysterious. I have gone through this routine before, but it was a couple of years ago and I think I may have tricked the receptionist at the time into doing it for me. (I do not necessarily condone the helpless-little-girl routine, but neither am I necessarily above it. It's how I got all of my hotdogs cooked at the bluegrass festival last year.)

Anyway, faxing: It still seems a little magical to me. I don't have the faintest idea how it's accomplished, but I feed a piece of paper into a machine, and a few minutes later an underpaid intern pulls another piece of paper out of another machine. At least that's how it's supposed to work. Perhaps because it requires a slightly higher skill level than emailing, I don't quite trust myself to execute the task correctly, even though I have been shown how to do it several times by the exceedingly patient Dax and Robbie. I have probably been sending blank pages to offices all across Publisher's Row.

Or at least I will assume so until the first book appears in my mailbox.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Today's post was the first thing to make me smile today...Thank you Emily Christensen, if your personality is half as entertaining as your literary voice your friends are very lucky people.

September 10, 2004 at 3:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wandered into your blog and I have to comment on how well written, insightful and entertaining your posts are. I'll be watching you! (as in watching your blog, not in a creepy stalker way.....)

September 14, 2004 at 1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home